Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Some records that I am digging these days...

Originally I was planning for this to be mostly record reviews, hence the Johnny Volume Record Time title. Granted it may in time turn out to be so, but for now, about a week into this blogs existence, not so much. I remember reading somewhere from like David Coverdale or someone, that writing about music is like singing about basketball. Lester Bangs may have not agreed, but either way, here are some pictures with a few words about those records, that I am digging....enjoy!



I am sure many of you here in the valley are very aware of one of Tempe's greatest bands, Grave Danger. In fact they are one of the first bands I saw when I moved here, and it was the first time I had ever been to Long Wongs (RIP). This is actually their first vinyl releases, and you get two great GD instrumentals. Amazing. PS If anyone has an extra copy of Valley Of Scum w/ the 2nd part of the Kevin Daly interview, send it my way....




BOATS! Awesome 4 song 7" on May Cause Dizziness Records. Think Stitches mixed with Briefs. Amazing, young band from Sacto...I am not going to even attempt to soil the greatness of this record with words, just get it, you won't regret it!



Now this band can't be described! Lenguas Largas! Issac from Shark Pants/Swing Ding Amigos latest project, and my favorite. This 7" is so good, but nothing compared to the live show. See them get the record, on Tic Tac Totally records.




The God Damned Doo Wop Band! Just what the band name may suggest, this is a bunch of punk rock folks doing doo wop. I have been playing this 7" @ BANNED, and the cd is pretty much the only one getting played at home. I don't think they tour much, so go to Awesome Fast to see them. Oh wait that's sold out, hope you got tickets....




You knew I'd get some Rumspringer in here! THE best band in the PHX area, that I have gone on and on about for so long already, but fuck the split 7" is amazing! Honestly the Dude Jams side has been played twice, once at BANNED! and once right when I got it.



Keepin' it in AZ with Andrew Jackson Jihad! This is a great 8", each side has the same song, once acoustic, once electric, and the grooves for each track are next to each other arther then one following the second. So once you drop the needle on the edge you get one version, and bump it and it's electric. I have seen AJJ play electric a few imes, and honestly, so so, I'll take acoustic. But on this the electric version is tops! Never played the other side, no offense to Mischief Brew, just haven't due to the AJJ side being so awesome. I promise when I do, I'll post it here....




Another May Cause Dizziness release! Radio Crimes, the newest project from Mr. Alex Empty! MOD style punk rock, that you can tell is still Alex! Did you like the Half Empties? This is the grown up version of that. Mr. Empty is moving back soon, so go get tattooed by him, congratulate him as he'll be a dad soon...Until then get this record!



This record is going to be hard pressed to be beat as record of the year for me! AMAZING! No other words....



An older record (1996) I have been listening to a bit lately. Prema's second and last record with a long poem like title, a few years before Fiona Apple, commonly called Drivel. These guys 1st record was a Krishna hard core record that was ok. But here I think they were doing drugs and got noisy. Great spastic, catch screamy punk rock ala Ink & Dagger, Icarus Line....

Anyway, here are a few of the records I am into at the moment. Stay tuned I am sure I'll have some more for you soon, and with more words, think of these as more like visual list rather then reviews. Stop by BANNED! Thursday, see below for what we've got going on, I am excited to hear what records Tyler brings...thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment