Friday, August 28, 2009

Those other record sizes...

When you put a record on, they are usually 12" or 7". Sure there are those 10"s becoming more and more common, but there are those other, cool, odd sizes. Today at work during a pretty slow point (much of the day honestly) I was thinking about my favorite 10"s, and there are some great ones, a little further down I talked about the Radio Crimes 10", which is amazing with some great packaging. A couple of times at BANNED we did an all 7" night called "Singles Going Steady", but I always wanted to do an all 10" night, maybe "Check Out My Big Ten Inch....Record" after the old blues song. I am sure it would't go over nearly as well. Anyway, after those thoughts I started thinking about the other sizes that I also love. Maybe they are gimick-y, you ever hear about the Spazz 1"? I guess they are toy records that they made labels, covers and fake song titles for, LTD to like 20 or something, now that is rediculous...Anyway, onward to some of my favorites of the other sizes....
The 5"s

The famous Converge 5", or infamous! Hand numbered and LTD to 1,000, the plates were even said to be smashed afterwards, acording the liner notes anyway. I have heard that they numbered a bunch of them 666! I am pretty sure I have seen like three on ebay. Also I had heard that there was more white vinyl then black, making my copy more rare then the more saught after white...or I am just convincing myslf of that to make myself feel better. Either way great two track record, one of which was a Vio-lence cover! The other, Downpour was said to be only for this release, I have never checked, I kind of lost interest in Converge records along the line. But I have a bunch of rare shit from them, including the 1st 7".

I love the Vindictives! Honestly I think it's because my friend Jud played them a lot when we did a radio show together. I think I like their covers more then originals, and that is the beauty of these little records you don't have to take them too serious, and can do whatever. Here you get two Sex Pistols covers. I always thought they had great songs most of the time done better by other people. I love the Vindictives!

Spazz made a lot of records, I love some, others I could care less. Honestly I haven't listened to this is years, many years. I don't like it too much, but hold on to, it's a picture disc, so that's cool. The back says the songs (10 of 'em) were written and recorded in an hour, so maybe that gives you an idea of why I don't listen to it. Also I sort of hate the label, they put out some terrible records, but they put out the 1st From Ashes Rise 7" so they sort of get a pass....next.
8"ers...

Still Life. Fuck I love this band. I have something from this record tattooed on me, that's how much I love this record, which I am pretty sure was my 1st Still Life record. I used to have the insert tacked to my wall, they always made amazing records, great artwork, great lyrics, and emotional power that was fuckin'.....I don't even know. They used to be called emo, but that word has had many meanings since revolution summer, so whatever. Three songs on here, and I swear that at a warehouse show in Hamden I begged them to play all three, and I am pretty sure they did. The only thing, is that the vinyl is very thin, and flimsy. It's almost like they did that on purpose so you can't listen to it everyday, cause you'll kill yourself if you did. Go with a more durable record, like their 2x12", wait that one is dangerous too! I seriously love this record, LOVE it, all of their records really. I wonder if they are still around??

Assholeparade "Lhighve", live get it? Anyway 90's power violence, thrash whatever the fuck. For the longest time (maybe still??) this was the only Assholeparade I owned, it's awesome, I think it was recorded from a radio station,(it probably says on the inside, but I am lazy) very good, folks in Florida loved this kind of shit back in the day, as did I.
10"? 9"? Either way....

Blueprint Acoustic Flexi!!! That's right a flexi! Three songs from these one time split partners with Jimmy Eat World. This was a great band whom I am fairly certain didn't last too long, but managed to put out some great records. This one isn't so great on vinyl,so you can't really get a great feel on the songs. I remember liking one of them and including it on some mix tapes, but I haven't played it in a while due to it's lack of durability. But pretty cool. I was going to put out a flexi 7" comp to go with my zine but once I saw the cost, decided on a 7", then when my car brokedown, the whole thing was shelved, but that's another story....
The HWM other sizes....

I just realized this whole blog is on 90's bands, weird. Do I buy less irregular records, or are they just less common? Anyway, nothing says 90's punk rock like Hot Water Music! I was apeshit about HWM after seeing them for the 1st time @ the CT Bike Exchange in like 95 with Assuck. I think they were best when they had the beards. Don't get me wrong I like the Epitaph releases, love the Draft, Chris + Ship Thieves record is great, and I love Chuck solo (listening to his new one now, great as well!) But man when HWM were bearded they put out something fierce. This 9" split with Clairmel is them in their prime as is....

...This 11" split with Tomorrow. I am fairly certain that all of these HWM songs were on more common sized pieces of vinyl, but these were great versions, and just cool records to have, I played the HWM sides to death. Remember when I said in a previous blog about splits? No? well I tend to only listen to one side, my fault, I know, I remember digging both of these one word bands, but when I reach for these records, the side I love seemed to get played, then I would want to listen to more of them and would head toward another HWM record, except of course the Leatherface split...oh and the Alkaline Trio split. Remember this simple point from Uncle JV, you lose a little of your edge each time you shave.
Okay, lets not make this a total 90's blog, keep up with some of today. And man I will find a way to bring up.....

Rumspringer!! I love these dudes, seriously, my public statements of my love for them are known. Esp. Mikey Wretch! That dude is fuckin' gold. This record is going to be in my top 5 for the year, right now it looks like #3, Riverboat and Dear Landlord are in good company. See them, buy all their records, give 'em hugs.

Now I have a mission, to find more odd sized records that have come out in the last ten years! Anyway, post a comment on your favorite odd sized record. Man it's 10:45 on a friday night and I am "blogging" listening to records, even Eldridge is out, maybe I am a dork....Time to flip the record and get another beer....

No comments:

Post a Comment